Wednesday, December 9, 2009

From U.S. Catholic: Bob Dylan puts the mystery back in Christmas

Here's an excerpt from a review of Bob Dylan's album, Christmas in the Heart, from USCatholic.org:
But with this album, Dylan has given us a little of the mystery that lies at the heart of Christmas. Childhood memories of Christmas, for many, do recall a sense of wonder. Dylan's unexpected handling of Christmas music can remind us of the unexpected that resides at the heart of Christmas: the Incarnation. That mystery continues to perplex and delight.

This is not to say that I think Dylan intended this mystery as the central focus of his Christmas album. But, the gift of mystery or a true surprise at Christmas can be wonderful for those whose lives are burdened by hardships and the relentless mundane routine of Christmas festivities. Something new that strikes of mystery is welcome. I, for my part, had to wipe the tears from my eyes as I laughed whole heartedly at Dylan's curious renditions. And so far, as I continue to re-listen, they still bring a smile to my face. Thank you for the Christmas gift Bob Dylan.

Read the entire review here.

(HT: Right Wing Bob)

No comments: