Saturday, January 23, 2010

An Aquinas Catechism: January 23-28

January 28 is the feast day of St. Thomas Aquinas. In honor of the Angelic Doctor, beginning today, I will be posting excerpts from his works, including the Summa Theologica and the Summa Contra Gentiles. I will also be posting other entries that concern the work and life of St. Thomas.

This week I began reading G. K. Chesterton's marvelous biography of St. Thomas, Saint Thomas Aquinas: "The Dumb Ox" (Sheed & Ward, 1933). I highly recommend it. For those who want to begin studying St. Thomas, I recommend these works:

For Beginners:
Advanced:

2 comments:

Edward Feser said...

Many thanks for the kind recommendation, Frank!

I might add for any interested readers, though, that there is a great deal in my book that should be of interest to intermediate and advanced readers. (Indeed, the "Beginner's Guide" subtitle is not so much a reflection of the actual content as of the fact that the publisher decided to fold their "Oneworld Thinkers" series -- for which Aquinas was actually written -- into their "Beginner's Guide" series.)

Francis J. Beckwith said...

You're welcome, Ed.

I've switched your book to "intermediate."