Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Evangelical philosopher and theologian, Norman L. Geisler, on St. Thomas Aquinas

In 2002, Evangelical philosopher and theologian, Norman L. Geisler, was interviewed by Christian History about St. Thomas Aquinas. Here is an excerpt from the interview:

What can Christians who aren't theologians or philosophers learn from Aquinas?

First of all, his absolute, unconditional commitment to Christ. He was an extremely devout person. He spent hours in prayer and Bible reading and Bible study. His whole life had a biblical basis—just read his prayers.

In one Thomistic class I took at a Catholic institution, the professor would pray a brief part of one of Aquinas' prayers before class. He would say, "Inspire us at the beginning, direct our progress, and complete the finished task within us." Aquinas had such a succinct way of getting to the heart of an issue.

Here's another of his prayers: "Give me, O Lord, a steadfast heart, which no unworthy affection may drag downwards; give me an unconquered heart, which no tribulation can wear out; give me an upright heart, which no unworthy purpose may tempt aside. Bestow on me also, O Lord my God, understanding to know you, diligence to seek you, wisdom to find you, and faithfulness that may finally embrace you, through Jesus Christ our Lord."

I can't tell you how Aquinas has enriched and changed my life, my thought. He has helped me to be a better evangelical, a better servant of Christ, and to better defend the faith that was delivered, once for all, to the saints.

You can read the entire interview here.

2 comments:

Matthew Bellisario said...

Unfortunately for poor Norm, he is not defending the faith that was delivered, once for all, to the saints, including the one St. Thomas defended and lived, which is Catholicism. I pray that he will have an awakening of conversion to the true faith. At least he is open to learning and reading St. Thomas' works. That's a start!

Jae said...

Eventhough, he (Norman Geisler) doesn't agree with the Catholic Faith (for now) he's still very respectful unlike some venomous and contentious guys from AOM.

I think Norm will eventually lead to Rome just like his dear friend and co-author, Joshua Betancourt did recently.

"Where Peter is, there is the Church"