Sunday, February 28, 2010

Alasdair MacIntyre on John Henry Cardinal Newman and the Idea of a University

Alasdair Macintyre - Newman's idea of a university from Robert Verrill OP on Vimeo.

(Warning: the sound on this is not very good)


Bill said...


I can't access this video right now, but I have read MacIntyre's new book on Universities. I have a question. If you were a Catholic parent in a typical situation (i.e. without inside contacts) and were trying to pick the best liberal arts college for your children, which would you choose?


Francis J. Beckwith said...

Dear Bill:

Because I am a professor at a non-Catholic university, I'd rather not answer that question in a public venue such as this blog.

However, a good resource is the Cardinal Newman Society, whose website you can find here:

I will, however, say a thing or two about my employer, Baylor University.

Although Baylor is not a Catholic university, it is a very good one that takes seriously its Christian faith. There are 99 Catholic faculty (out of 903): We also a vibrant Catholic center adjacent to the campus:

Baylor has an outstanding honors college that has a great text curriculum similar to what one would encounter at the best Catholic liberal arts colleges.

I really think Baylor is terrific, and would encourage you to consider it for your children.

Bill said...

Thanks Francis,

Would it be possible for you to contact me at I have read Newman, and I have also read MacIntyre's new book on the university. I will try not to take up much of your time. ;)