Monday, May 10, 2010

Eberstadt on Catholic Conversions

Mary Eberstadt has published a nice piece on Catholic conversions in The Weekly Standard. She begins:
We interrupt the latest bilious rants about religion with a respectful bulletin. Mid-April marked the passing of British philosopher Antony Flew, perhaps the most famous atheist-turned‑theist of recent times. It’s a moment that seems especially worth reflecting on these days, as the West’s media-intoxicated celebrity atheists lunge once again for the wheel of public debate.
A scourge of believers for much of his life, Flew penned numerous works attacking theism over the years, including one of the most famous atheist tracts of the 20th century (“Theology and Falsification”). Yet over 50 years later, via the straightforwardly entitled book There Is a God, he announced to the world that he’d changed his mind and become a deist, albeit one who still rejected the specifically Christian conception of God. Research on DNA, Flew submitted, “has shown, by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce (life), that intelligence must have been involved.”
Read the whole thing here.

2 comments:

Don said...

Really enjoy your blog. Thanks for the postings. The conversion of evangelicals to RC intrigues me and I readily admit that there is much in evangelicalism that gives them reason to convert. Maybe this is too far off subject, but since you mentioned "Catholic conversions" I have often wondered what RC evangelism looks like. I am an evangelical Protestant and have had many other Protestants try to share their faith with me, not knowing my background. I have never had a RC try to share the faith. But if they did so, I wonder what that would look like. What, in a best case circumstance, would this look like? I have asked around but just quizzical looks.

kkollwitz said...

"I have never had a RC try to share the faith."

I've rarely had anyone share faith with me. Many have proselytized me, and called it faith sharing, and it's extremely annoying. Thus while I always share my Catholic faith with those who ask a question or express an interest, I am reluctant to take the initiative, and be the annoyer rather than the annoyee. So at least to me this what RC faith-sharing looks like: "sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you..."