Monday, June 28, 2010

My contribution to forthcoming festscrhift in honor of LDS philosopher, David L. Paulsen

In a recent post on this blog I offered some criticism of the LDS account of church history and its relation to the doctrine of God. Because these sorts of theological disputes are sometimes accompanied by unpleasant rancor, I want the readers of Return to Rome to know that I have tried my best to offer my arguments in a spirit of charity and respect (though I know that I do not always succeed).

As evidence of this, I want to bring to your attention my forthcoming contribution to the volume, Sowing the Fields of the Peacemakers: Essays on Mormon Philosophy and Theology in Honor of David L. Paulsen, edited by Jacob T. Baker (Draper, UT: Greg Kofford Books, 2010). My chapter is entitled, "Mormonism, Natural Law, and Constitutional Democracy: Reflections on the Romney Candidacy.” It is a revised version of a paper I delivered in November 2007 at the Mormonism & American Politics conference at Princeton University.

Although David Paulsen and I obviously disagree on theological issues, I am honored to be a contributor to this volume. I want my Mormon readers of Return to Rome to know that in spite of our differences, I consider you important friends and allies in shaping the trajectory of our public culture.

1 comment:

kkollwitz said...

Never saw the word Festschrift before. I like it.

Another artful German compund noun.