Sunday, September 19, 2010

Off topic: President's one-liner gives critics rhetorical ammo. (Who was the genius who thought of this one?)

According to Reuters "President Barack Obama, seeking to fire up an important part of his support base ahead of November's elections, told black leaders on Saturday he wanted their support to "guard the change" he was delivering."

The president's speech writer, by writing that line, provided his critics with the perfect comeback:
He wants to "guard the change" but the American people want to change the guard. 

3 comments:

Tiber Jumper said...

nice one!

Joe Heschmeyer said...

You're not the only one to think of that, it turns out. James Taranto of the WSJ uses the same one-liner: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989304575503712157394190.html

Francis J. Beckwith said...

I saw that, Joe. I guess I could makin' the big bucks at the WSJ if I had played my cards right.

Although, I must say, Taranto comes up with 20 great lines for every one of mine. I'm just lucky that I happen to get one right!