Monday, March 28, 2016

The Courses I'll Be Teaching Next Fall at the University of Colorado, Boulder

In February I was offered and accepted the position of Visiting Professor of Conservative Thought and Policy at the University of Colorado, Boulder for the 2016-2017 school year. My home institution, Baylor University, has graciously permitted me to take a one-year leave of absence.

I will be teaching two courses in the Fall and two in the Spring. Here is my Fall schedule:

PHIL 4010: Single Philosopher: Aquinas
TR 11:00-12:15
Here's the philosophy department's description of the course: "This is a special team-taught course, led by Professor Robert Pasnau, a leading historian of medieval philosophy, and Visiting Professor Francis Beckwith, a prominent Catholic moral philosopher. We will work our way through the central ideas of Aquinas's philosophy, beginning with his conception of human nature, followed by his account of human happiness, the nature of God, and his theory of natural law." I am honored to be team-teaching this course with such an accomplished scholar.

PHIL 1600: Philosophy and Religion
TR 8:00-9:15 am
The official university description reads: "Philosophical introduction to some of the central concepts and beliefs of religious traditions, focusing particularly on the question of the existence of God and on the relation between religious beliefs and moral beliefs. Approved for arts and sciences core curriculum: ideals and values." My plan is also to cover some issues of faith, reason, and public life, questions I've addressed in my most recent books, Taking Rites Seriously: Law, Politics, and the Reasonableness of Faith (Cambridge University Press, 2015), Politics For Christians: Statecraft and Soulcraft (InterVarsity Press, 2010), and Defending Life: A Moral and Legal Case Against Abortion Choice (Cambridge University Press, 2007). Of course, we will be examining differing perspectives, including those critical of the views I defend in my works.

Because I accepted the CU offer after the official Fall 2016 schedule had already been published, the second course, "Philosophy and Religion," does not appear on the published scheduled, though one can register for the course if one is a CU student.

So, if you are a CU student and are interested taking either one of these course, I hope you would consider signing up for either one.

I am looking forward to my year at CU.


No comments: